By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Problems Posting

pipnasty

Hi Dave,

When I try to post and I click on to the ‘Reply to this topic’ dialogue box, the only option I get is to attach a file - so I can’t add text at all. 
This started yesterday early evening - I’m using Mac OS 10.14.5 and my browser is Opera (which I am up to date on). I’ve also tried Safari and have the same problem. But  I can post on my phone fine.

Do you need any more info?

Cheers

So I've run into this today too.

Both me and the missus have MacBookPros running latest version of MacOS (Monterey 12.0.1). Older machines so still Intel chips.

My laptop is fine. I borrowed hers to stream the match on (bigger screen...) and got the same issue where you can view the forum but when you try to post, you only get the option to attach a file, not post text. Tried it across a couple of different accounts and on both Firefox and Chrome - issue was consistent on all of them

The only difference I could see between the way the machines are set up was that hers still had Java installed. I removed that, rebooted but it made no difference.

@RBM - what did you change to get around the problem?

1 hour ago, Gethin said:

still had Java installed. I removed that, rebooted but it made no difference.

Of course it won't...the site doesn't use Java. Just because something is a tired old joke on here, it doesn't make it true.

JavaScript isn't Java.

All I will say now is that it is something Apple related that is causing your issue - and I don't use Apple so hurrah!

If I can be bothered getting hands on an Apple device then I might look into it. Until then, sorry...not my issue.

24 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Of course it won't...the site doesn't use Java. Just because something is a tired old joke on here, it doesn't make it true.

JavaScript isn't Java.

All I will say now is that it is something Apple related that is causing your issue - and I don't use Apple so hurrah!

If I can be bothered getting hands on an Apple device then I might look into it. Until then, sorry...not my issue.

FWIW I wasn't asking *you* to do anything - I was hoping to get a bit more info from the other MacOS users to see if I could work out why it's happening. I'm aware Java and Javascript are different - I used to be a software dev back in the day. Java was only mentioned 'cos: 

1) it was the only obvious difference between two very similar machines that are patched to the same level of the OS and using up to date browser versions.

2) MacOS / OSX has always had a slightly weird implementation of Java. A while back they recommended people remove it from their machines 'cos pretty much nothing other than dodgy legacy stuff uses it these days. There was a small possibility there was a setting buried in there that could have been causing this. Tried it, it's not that, mentioned it for completeness.

14 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

He turned off JavaScript.

I wanted to know how / where he did that - at browser level or if theirs an OS level setting (I don't know of one). It's weird that it's also suddenly affecting Pip's OS version which is at least 3-4 years old as I didn't think they were still patching OS versions that old.

1 minute ago, Gethin said:

FWIW I wasn't asking *you* to do anything

Didn't say you were.

I am actually interested in whatever this is, mainly because it will probably help me in my day job if Apple have got something stupid going on.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if an ad-blocker has decided to play silly buggers.

If I find something (which I doubt) then I will post it up.

• Like 1