By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Hint for Firefox users: Embedded content (tweets etc) not displaying correctly

Gethin

If you're on Firefox and you're not seeing embedded content it's due to the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" feature being turned on by default.

Turning it off on a per-site basis will make embedded tweets etc display properly on the page - reading this article to find out how to disable it and to help you decide if you should

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanced-tracking-protection-firefox-desktop

Do the following:

1. Click the image.png button next to the address bar
  2. Toggle the setting for "Enhanced Tracking Protection is ON for this site"

if it's turned on and strict mode is enabled, you won't be able to see a picture of Sadio, if it's turned off, you will.

10 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

@Gethin - if you have an issue with what I have done above, feel free to contact me via PM and provide a screenshot of what you see with the feature turned on, and we will discuss it in more detail so that you're not suggesting disabling a useful feature of a browser.

Hey - it wasn't a criticism of the way the forum is set up - and I think the way you've edited the original post is unfair.

I came across the issue on another forum I use when Firefox enabled this functionality. Since the old version of this forum didn't support embedding at the time, it wasn't relevant to mention it here so I didn't.

The info was posted here in good faith along with a link to the Mozilla article that explains what the functionality is and why it's there. That gives people the ability to decide whether they want to turn it off or not.   Content not displaying in the way users expect looks like a forum bug. It isn't and I was attempting to explain why.

If you're going to leave the original post like that then I'd prefer you delete the thread (I'd do it myself but I can't) and I won't mention it again.

Edited by Gethin

4 minutes ago, Gethin said:

Hey - it wasn't a criticism of the way the forum is set up - and I think the way you've edited the original post is unfair.

Not taking it as a criticism at all - it's nothing to do with how the forum is setup. And it's entirely fair until I've investigated the problem you are having, and determined a better course of action other than turning off a browser feature that protects people and their browsing.

Can you please provide me with a screenshot of the problem you had on this forum please, so that I can look into it further. If the only course of action is to disable the feature entirely then I will reinstate the content.

Testing...

Screenshots (prior to this edit)

With tracking protection on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgwr46t29fkolrh/Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 17.27.04.png?dl=0

With tracking protection off: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6co565pl7lgbtb/Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 17.27.32.png?dl=0

The other forum I use found no way

Edited by Gethin

11 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

If this is what you are seeing then don't turn off the feature - just change the protection settings from Strict to Standard.

image.png

Yeah as you'll see from the dropbox links above. 

Would prefer not to change from strict to standard as that setting change would apply to every site. Personally I'd prefer to have it set to strict globally and have the choice to turn it off on a site by site basis.

As I said, my intention with the thread was to provide others with the info to be able to make that choice for themselves.

If you want to keep this thread then maybe remove "Correctly" from the title as it implies a bug, which it isn't.

Edited by Gethin