Jump to content
I will no longer be developing resources for Invision Community Suite ×
By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Stadium build to start by April 2010


Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-25492509/

 

LIVERPOOL FC are finally hoping to start work on their new stadium before April, the ECHO can reveal.

 

Liverpool Council leader Warren Bradley revealed that LFC managing director Christian Purslow had told the council the club hoped to make progress on the new ground in the first quarter of 2010.

 

Cllr Bradley also revealed, in an exclusive interview, that the local authority will hold high level talks with Everton FC about its own plans for a new ground on Monday, January 11.

 

EFC were forced back to the drawing board after the Government rejected a planned to move to Kirkby alongside Tesco in a £400m development.

 

Everton confirmed the meeting and said the club was hoping to set up a working party with senior officials and Cllr Bradley to move forward its hunt for a new home.

 

Liverpool council has been keen to keep the Blues within the city boundaries, whether at a new site or a revamped Goodison.

 

Cllr Bradley said: “We have got a meeting with Everton Football Club where we will put all our cards on the table. I will be there as will be council chief executive Colin Hilton and executive director of regeneration John Kelly.

 

“We want to make sure that we can facilitate things for Everton FC.

 

“They want to discuss Bellefield and the stadium. We fully understand they need some commercial support for a stadium.”

 

The council and EFC have clashed over the club’s desire to build homes on its former training ground Bellefield.

 

In January 2009 the club lost an appeal against the council’s decision to reject plans to build 74 homes on the site in West Derby.

 

Cllr Bradley said it was pleasing to see that LFC was on the brink of making a start with its 60,000 seater ground on Stanley Park.

 

The lack of progress on the £400m stadium is one of the main sources of discontent among fans with the ownership of Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

 

Cllr Bradley said: “Liverpool FC’s Christian Purslow has told us that the club in the first quarter of next year should be able to move forward with the stadium.

 

“We have told them it’s time to move on now, it’s gone on too long.

 

“I honestly believe Christian Purslow has been open and honest with us. Hopefully in the first quarter of next year we will see some movement. Without doubt it’s not before time.”

 

Earlier this month the ECHO revealed how Mr Purslow was forced to open up the club’s finances to the England 2018 team in order to persuade officials to include Liverpool as a host city for the country’s bid to host the World Cup.

 

The Reds had to prove to FA bid bosses that it could deliver a new stadium and would be able to raise the cash.

 

Mr Purslow was forced to make the disclosures in front of Everton chief executive Robert Elstone as they made the final case for Liver-pool to be included in England’s World Cup bid.

 

Today a spokesman for Liverpool FC said: “Construction of the stadium will begin when the current contraction in the banking industry ends and the global financial markets re-establish their equilibrium.”

Posted

“Construction of the stadium will begin when the current contraction in the banking industry ends and the global financial markets re-establish their equilibrium.”

 

and think that this will happen by April?

Posted

I've said before that Everton should move to Anfield (Buying it off Liverpool) and Goodison Park should be turned into a multi-storey car park.

 

Everton end up with a modern Football Ground with a bigger capacity. Liverpool get a new Ground and both clubs get ample parking for all visitors.

 

And we get to knock Goodison Park down and turn it into a Car Park.

 

 

Everyones a winner!

Posted
I've said before that Everton should move to Anfield (Buying it off Liverpool)

 

Everton end up with a modern Football Ground with a bigger capacity.

 

and an inglorious end for a famous stadium. Sad day all round if this happened. Far better to just close Everton down.

Posted

Purslow has been down to the homebase sale to get us a new spade to stick in the ground after the last one got lost and held up the build. Well in Purslow lad.

Posted
I've said before that Everton should move to Anfield (Buying it off Liverpool) and Goodison Park should be turned into a multi-storey car park.

 

Everton end up with a modern Football Ground with a bigger capacity. Liverpool get a new Ground and both clubs get ample parking for all visitors.

 

And we get to knock Goodison Park down and turn it into a Car Park.

Everyones a winner!

 

 

I can't understand why you would want to see Everton playing at Anfield.

Posted
It's 1892 revisited

 

we could install some giant curtains before we leave and have a automatic system that draws them everytime they play.. the SOS lives on!

Posted

what are the odds that they'll hold the council off for a while then when england don't get the world cup they'll say all bets are off

Posted
we could install some giant curtains before we leave and have a automatic system that draws them everytime they play.. the SOS lives on!

 

perfect! added to that stadium design, huge pair of curtains all along the back of the new kop, a ceremonial closing every time they play at home. that would be magnificent.

Posted
I really dont see this happening while these two clowns are in charge. Purslow must think the fans are thick if he thinks we are going to fall for this.

 

I can see them starting it, making it look like it's in progress for the banks fans, but I can't see them finishing.

Posted

The article's jumping to conclusions. 'Move forward with' doesn't have to mean start building.

 

“Liverpool FC’s Christian Purslow has told us that the club in the first quarter of next year should be able to move forward with the stadium.

 

“We have told them it’s time to move on now, it’s gone on too long.

 

“I honestly believe Christian Purslow has been open and honest with us. Hopefully in the first quarter of next year we will see some movement. Without doubt it’s not before time.”

 

So they've established that hopefully something might happen soonish. maybe. Sounds like a productive meeting.

Posted
Radio 5 are reporting it as a deal for the finances is close to being announced.

 

maybe the banks are trying to reinvigorate the market by giving more credit to known liabilities.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...