Jump to content
I will no longer be developing resources for Invision Community Suite ×
By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5519356.ece

 

AC Milan were last night set to make a new £7.5 million bid for Daniel Agger, the Liverpool defender. The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club’s wishes in the summer. Liverpool have denied that this clause exists, but Per Steffensen, Agger’s agent, had lunch in Milan with Ariedo Braida, the Serie A club’s sporting director, yesterday and Milan are confident of completing the deal this week.

 

Agger, 24, has 18 months left on his deal and Liverpool are said to have offered him a new contract, worth about £70,000 a week, to stay at the club. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, will attempt to resist Milan’s overtures but the Italians remain certain that the deal can be done.

 

Benítez is likely to be absent from preparations for the derby against Everton in the Barclays Premier League on Monday after undergoing a third operation to resolve a problem with kidney stones yesterday. The 48-year-old has had surgery twice since being struck by the ailment early last month and missed the league match away to Arsenal on December 21 as a result.

 

The Spaniard returned to work at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground a fortnight ago, but Sammy Lee, the assistant manager, took charge of training yesterday in the build-up to Monday’s match at Anfield. Benítez is expected to be fit to attend the game, but he is likely to watch from the directors’ box again, with Lee directing events from the dugout.

 

 

“It’s a difficult time for him because, you know Rafa Benítez, all he wants to do is be out there on the training pitch with his players,” Lee said. “That’s his forte, but he is still buoyant.

 

“He has gone for the third operation, but we’re hoping it won’t keep him out for too long — hopefully just a couple of days. All credit to Rafa for what he has put in place. His attention to detail and organisation means that, if any one of us is missing, there won’t be a blip.”

 

Benítez will select the team for the match against Everton and Fernando Torres, the forward, is expected to be restored to the starting line-up for the first time since late November after a hamstring injury. Torres, who has made substitute appearances against Preston North End and Stoke City in Liverpool’s most recent fixtures, has endured three spells on the sidelines with hamstring problems this season and he believes that he is still some way short of full fitness. “Of course I want to be in the first XI,” the Spain striker said. “I don’t know if I can play 90 minutes yet, but I can be in the squad. I feel much better and I hope to come back to start in the first XI as soon as possible.

 

“I didn’t do pre-season properly after Euro 2008. The season started too soon for me and you are trying to keep the best physical stamina, but it’s difficult when you have to play three games a week. Now I want to stay a perfect 100 per cent and not get injured again

Edited by Jamma
Posted (edited)

You are playing with Carra. Sami Hyypia has stepped up to the plate in a big way. You have keeper like Pepe Reina and your manager is a Rafa Benitez - a fantastic defensive* coach. Give that man a pen, and not the one Michael Owen always claimed he was just about to take from his agent !

 

 

*This is not a negative thread on Rafa, he is a fking great manager from a defensive point of view and a great manager full stop, but if you are a defender, there can be no better school to learn your trade than with a teacher like Rafa and lick arses like Carra and Hyppia ;)

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
Posted

This bit is bull s*** surely

 

The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club’s wishes in the summer"

 

Why would we put that clause in?

Posted
This bit is bull s*** surely

 

The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club's wishes in the summer"

 

Why would we put that clause in?

 

we'll just have to say we want to get rid of him, so the clause doesnt get activated

Posted
I know it's mainly posturing in the media for negotiating reasons and all, but Agger is beginning to look like a c***.

 

agreed..............but.......

This bit is bull s*** surely

 

The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club’s wishes in the summer"

 

Why would we put that clause in?

I agree. We're not some s***ty little club

Posted (edited)
This bit is bull s*** surely

 

The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club’s wishes in the summer"

 

Why would we put that clause in?

 

 

article-1015692-00F337A800000578-310_306x423.jpg

 

"Yeah, sure" *Jesus, I must look the business with my red and white check shirt and a black tie with a grey suit * "What !, yeah, yeah, yeah - Tell Dan Eggen just to sign. What ? Yeah, the Agger lad, thats what I said !!"

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
Posted
If he's been offered 70k a week and turns it down to go elsewhere then f*** him. If he signs brilliant.

 

exactly. heard some unflattering rumours about him as well

if he doesn't want to play for us for 70k a week then f*** him and get Hangeland in from Fulham

Posted (edited)

I think we should do our best to keep Agger.

 

OK, we can say, screw you and feck off if you dont want 70k a week but the reality is, we can maybe get someone esle in and one of two things is like to happen;

 

1) That person wont make the grade and lose the transfer fee and whatever wage we have paid and footballing cost of realising that his guy has lost us goals.

 

2) The new guy is excellent. But now he knows he is excellent so he wants close to parity with Torres and Gerrard.

 

The cost of option 1 is huge, its the problem we have with the right wing, Nunez, Cisse at times, Pennant, Benayoun.

 

Option 2 is Agger, he has earned it. If we dispose of him, then his next decent successor will look for the same. We have suffered option 1 at RM since Rafa came, no decent RM - but once we do get a good RM he will look for good wages.

 

Why suffer Option 1 with a new CB when the reality is once he hits the level we crave, he will do an Agger and say "Pay rise please"

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald
Posted

As much as I love skrtle we are more composed and a better passing side from back to front when dagger plays. Skrtle and Agger is a future centre back partnership surley. 6.5m dont make me laugh, worth 3 times that much imo.

Posted

From the Transfer Thread

 

"Sami Hyypia/Daniel Agger

 

According to the Daily Mail Liverpool are ready to offer Hyypia another 12-month contract “in the wake of growing concerns over Daniel Agger's Anfield future”, after talks about a new contract have stalled over Agger’s request that his wages be doubled to around £60,000 a week & with AC Milan who “will be rebuffed in efforts to sign Agger this month”, willing “to sit tight & meet the Denmark centre back's pay demands in the summer”.

 

So we've offered 70k per week, which he may turn down as he's really holding out for 60k per week

 

Sounds like guesswork to me

Posted

guardian's claiming the same and andy hunter isn't prone to bullsh*t.

 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ja...erpool-ac-milan

Milan frontrunners to secure Agger signature

 

Liverpool's prospects of securing Daniel Agger on a new long-term contract appear to have diminished after the Denmark international's agent travelled to Milan to discuss a potential move to San Siro.

 

Agger's representative, Per Steffensen, met the general sporting director of Milan, Ariedo Braida, and the agent Rino Foschi yesterday despite Liverpool's insistence that the 24-year-old defender will not be sold during this transfer window. The trio dined at the city centre restaurant Giannino and their meeting will fuel Liverpool's suspicion that Steffensen is seeking to engineer a move for Agger before the end of the month or, more likely, at the end of the season.

 

Reports in Italy last week claimed Milan would make an offer of £8.5m for Agger this month to tempt Liverpool to part with a player who could activate a release clause of £7m in the summer. The Anfield club have denied the clause exists but they do face the possibility of Agger activating the Webster Ruling and buying out the final 12 months of his contract at the end of this campaign.

 

Publicly the £5.8m signing from Brondby in 2006 has repeatedly claimed he wishes to extend his contract with Liverpool. Negotiations between Steffensen and Liverpool, however, have been fraught for several months, with the club refusing to meet demands to double Agger's £35,000-a-week wage. The Liverpool manager, Rafael Benítez, is determined to resist any approach for Agger this month as he aims to keep the bulk of his title-chasing squad intact but the threat of losing the Dane for a cut-price fee in the summer has intensified following Steffensen's visit to Milan.

 

Agger, meanwhile, is expected to recover from the calf problem that kept him out of Liverpool's 0–0 draw at Stoke City in time for Monday's Merseyside ­derby with Everton. He is likely to be joined by Xabi Alonso, who returned to training yesterday having received seven stitches and extensive bruising to his foot during the FA Cup third-round win at Preston North End. The Spaniard's influence was sorely missed by Liverpool at the ­Britannia Stadium last weekend, where Javier Mascherano and Lucas disappointed, but he is confident of making a timely return against David Moyes' team at Anfield.

Posted

I'm starting to get worried about this. Players who can defend properly and are comfortable in possession don't grow on trees. He is proven in the Premiership and in the CL and has his best years ahead of him. It would be a massive blow to the club if he left.

Posted
I'm starting to get worried about this. Players who can defend properly and are comfortable in possession don't grow on trees. He is proven in the Premiership and in the CL and has his best years ahead of him. It would be a massive blow to the club if he left.

 

If the reported offer has been made and he won't sign then what is supposed to happen? He should be be showing some loyalty to the club who have stood by him after a year out injured. How many games has he started in the last 2 years? Good as he is he is not irreplaceable.

Posted
I'm starting to get worried about this. Players who can defend properly and are comfortable in possession don't grow on trees. He is proven in the Premiership and in the CL and has his best years ahead of him. It would be a massive blow to the club if he left.

agree absolutely, it's a worry is this. and i'm not sure i believe that he's been offered a new deal with a 100% raise.

Posted

Perhaps Agger can see, that Rafa probable first choice is Carra and Skirtl.

And, alledgely, £8.5m buys you Agger, and £8m buys you Anton Ferdinand. Crazy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...